Scanpst is an Inbox Repair Tool provided by Microsoft, which is used for diagnosing and repairing errors in your Outlook data file (.pst or .ost).
You may consider using Scanpst when you receive an error that Outlook can't open your data file or folder, or when your data file is corrupted or damaged.
We will start by looking for the Scanpst tool in your PC. If you already know its file location, please skip to step 4. Make sure you have exit Ms Outlook before starting the scan and repair process.
1. Right-click on the Outlook shortcut icon, and select Properties.
2. A “Outlook Properties” window will be displayed. Click Open File Locations.
3. On the opened location, look for scanpst.exe.
Note: If you are unable to locate Scanpst through the above method, you can follow Microsoft's suggested paths at:
4. Double-click on scanpst.exe to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
5. Click Browse to select the Outlook data file (.pst) you want to scan. If you need help locating your data file, see Locating the Outlook Data Files.
6. Once you have selected the data file, click Scan to start scanning the .pst file.
7. If the scan returns an error, click Repair to fix the issue.
1. Open your Ms Outlook. Select File > Account Settings > Account Settings….
2. Select the Data Files tab.
3. You will see all Outlook/Offline data files (.pst and .ost) listed along with their folder path here.